Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hmmm... Is this Winter?

When the weatherman says it is going to be in the 60's in January, you hi-tale it to your favorite park and play like there is no tomorrow. Blue skies, warm sun and a giggles from kids stuck in the house for too long. Stretching legs and running free....


 City Lake Park has special memories for us as a family. It was the first park we went to when we were wondering if we should move up to North Carolina. I was about to pop with Jake - in actuality, I think I still had a month or so to go! Oy!


And we were lovestruck with the beautiful fall color and view of the lake...



So when the kids said they wanted to go to the park with the "zip line" we had to go.

I am thinking this needs to be on my bucket list of things to do. Kayak, still lake, cool breezes, what is there not to like?


Well, while I contemplated the quiet, the kids made up for being indoors for the past few days. They ran, yelled, played and were well, kids at a park. We needed some family time out of the house for sure. I equate these outings as sort of hitting the reset button on our life. Just makes everything ok and right again.



Love static hair in a slide - but not the shock it gives you!


These two together are a mess!


Remember what I said about hitting the reset button? I guess as a homeschool family, we are used to being around eachother 24/7. I love that it creates many opportunities to have to work things out since there are no opportunities for respite. As a parent, I need to foster creative ways to teach them to resolve conflict in a healthy way. Also when the kids spend a lot of time divided with friends, I can see their attitudes change drastically.  While I think that time with friends is so important and needed, it does effect their relationships together as siblings. When we take time away I see more of this - helping. 


And this - laughing from sister chasing...



And this - wide eyes of wonder, watching brother on another plaything. While it isn't always perfect, I make time to allow them to be together. Just us. I know other parents see us as a bit unusual, but pulling away really does make a difference. For us all...


As we were getting ready to leave I heard this fwap, fwap, fwap each step I took and Kylie made a quick comment, "I didn't know they made boot flip flops?" Yep, I didn't either...
My oh so comfortable yet not stylish boots had given up. I can't tell you how old they are, most likely from my college years which was about oh, 16 years ago? So sad...


But we moved on and fwap, fwaped our way out of the park. Luke was laughing hysterically at me and my dysfunction... Then Jake caught a glimpse of these berries. I was loving the contrast and totally missed that he was wanting to eat them but thankfully he didn't. 


One last quick climb on the old fire engine...


The next morning it wasn't as sunny out so we decided to do something artsy. Anything! I told the kids, quick! Run outside and get some rocks. So they did, and throw in some paint and it is a winner for all. 



What is it with paint and mixing everything into black?


Moving on from his rock to paper. Wait, isn't that a game??


If you give a toddler some paint and paper, you are bound to get it on hands...


And if it gets on hands, it must be on sisters  hands too!



I loved the care and focus he had while he painted Kylie. They had a blast. 


Day wrapped up with a nice hot bath for all and clean clothes! I am reminded that when I schedule time for play and creativity, the days really do become a lot smoother. 

Enjoy your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment